This is the oldest and the most efficient home remedy for hair growth. Onion juice is rich in sulphur, which boosts the production of the collagen tissues and thus helps in the re-growth of hair.
You can use red onions or shallots by chopping it into small pieces and then squeezing out its juice. Then apply it on your scalp and keep for 15 minutes. Finally rinse off with a mild shampoo.
This vinegar gently cleanses the scalp and maintains the PH balance of the hair, thus accelerating hair growth. Use the apple cider vinegar as a final rinse after shampoo to get healthy and shiny hair.
Egg has been used since ancient times for
combating hair loss. It contains high levels of proteins which help in the formation of new hair. It is also rich in sulphur, zinc, iron, selenium, phosphorous and iodine.
This is another widely used hair fall treatment as fenugreek accelerates hair growth and protects the natural colour of your hair. Take 1 teaspoon of the fenugreek paste and add 2 teaspoons of coconut milk. Leave it for 30 minutes and wash off with a mild shampoo.
5. Potato juice:
This is a secret remedy as most of the people are not familiar with the hair growth properties of potato juice. Simply apply the potato juice on the scalp and leave it for 15 minutes. This can also be used if you’re suffering from “alopecia- thinning of hair”. Potato is also good for using as face packs too.
6. Henna pack:
Henna is the best natural conditioner which transforms dull and dry hair into smooth and shiny hair and also adds a colour to them. It also promotes hair growth by strengthening the roots of the existing hair.
Make this pack by mixing 1 cup of dry henna powder with ½ cup of yoghurt and apply all over the hair. Leave the pack until it dries off completely and wash off with a mild shampoo.
This special pepper stimulates hair growth and prevents thinning of hair. Mix 1 teaspoon of pepper powder with 2 teaspoons of olive oil and apply on the patches. Wash off with cool water.
Coconut milk is rich in proteins, iron, potassium and essential fats. It reduces hair shedding and breakage. So if you want to experience healthy and damage free hair, use coconut milk. Extract the milk of a coconut and apply on the targeted areas. Keep it overnight and rinse off with cool water the next day.
9. Green tea:
As you all know that green tea is rich in anti oxidants which prevents hair loss and boosts hair growth. Apply warm green tea all over your scalp and leave it for an hour. Rinse off with cool water.
- Be cautious of shampoos:Many people have a common question when its comes to using shampoos, 'should we shampoo our hair every day or not'? Well, yes, you need to be cautious of how often you shampoo your hair. Here is what experts say:
Zoe Draelos, MD, writes in the International Journal of Trichology, “Daily shampooing is only necessary if oil production on the scalp is high.” The famous stylist Nick Arrojo says, “Shampooing three or four times a week is plenty."But, what should you do to absorb the oil between washes? Well, Arrojo says, "One trick is to use talcum powder in the hair in lieu of shampoo. But, powders shouldn't replace shampoo all together.”
Note: Using a good conditioner after shampoo is necessary. Conditioner makes your hair more manageable and easier to untangle. Also, remember that you apply the conditioner at least 1-2 inches away from your scalp.
Use good volumising shampoo and conditioner. Apply the conditioners at the middle and ends of the hair.
- Oil massage:Massaging your scalp is very important as it improves the blood circulation and makes your roots healthy. Use warm oil to massage your hair and scalp. Always massage your scalp in circular motion. It is best to use either coconut or jojoba oil. Use rosemary oil to combat dandruff. After the massage, wrap your hair in a warm towel for a few minutes to provide extra conditioning to your hair.
- Amla (Indian gooseberry): Amla has always been an age-old herbal remedy for so many hair problems. From preventing grey hair to promoting hair growth, it does it all. Include one amla daily in your diet. Eat it on an empty stomach to get phenomenal results.
- Use towel to let your hair air dry for about five minutes before blow drying.
- Divide your hair into manageable layers. These layers gives the look of increases the hair volume.
- Apply voluminousness mousse just above the root of the hairs. Avoid the very scalp; any product left on the scalp will dry on the scalp and leave your scalp feeling itchy. Mousse gives styling in the hair.
- Use reverse blow drying that is simple upside down blow. To add volume, the roots must be dried first. Blow from the inside out. Blow it dry up to 75% to 85% with your head upside down to set in the volume with heat. Dry evenly over the whole hair. You may use a diffuser piece on your hairdryer. This will soften the blast of the hairdryer. Experiment and see what fits best for you and your hair.
- Apply blow dry parallel to the hair not perpendicular to the hair.
- Allow more air circulation in the root area. Air circulation gives volume. Never aim the blow dryer directly at your scalp. Always aim the blow dryer down.
- Keep the blow dryer about 6 to 10 inches away from your hair. Adjust your head sometimes tilt the tip the head upside down.
- Softly massage the hairs with your fingertips. This will assist the hair to return to a the natural state. Be careful not to overdo the little massage.
- Use good brush. The brush needs to have a large head and have the ability to grab the hair. This helps to pull the hair straight while blow drying. You may use ceramic brush.
- No chemicalsIt is best to avoid unnecessary hair procedures, like perming, straightening, and colouring. Such processes leave your hair dull and dry. Not only this, they also make your hair fragile and weaken your roots, thus leaving you more prone to hair loss.
Weather plays a big role for voluminous hair styles. Adjust your dryer according to the weather.
- Use Aloe Vera:It can work wonders if used sensibly. Aloe vera is a natural remedy to bring hair fall under control. It provides essential moisture and nutrients to your scalp; thus, boosting hair growth. Apply aloe vera gel directly to scalp and let it stay for one hour. Then shampoo your hair to rinse it out. Regular use of this will definitely reduce hair fall.
De-stress:Stress is seen as a major culprit behind hair loss. Excess stress can lead to hair thinning and hair greying as well. Some of the good ways to distress is to include yoga or exercise in your daily routine. This would not only help you to de-stress but also boost the flow of oxygen and blood to your scalp.
Balanced diet:A healthy and balanced diet is very important to enhance the volume of your hair naturally. Include necessary vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin B, C, zinc, iron and copper in your diet. They will promote hair growth by strengthening your hair follicles. Also, drink at least 8 glasses of water every day to keep your body and hair hydrated.
Don'ts For Hair Volume
- Don't apply too many hair products. These may weight your hair down.
- Dry evenly over the whole hair. Don't try to dry one area and then move on to the next.
- Do not blow the dryer directly at your scalp.
- Do not move your head back and front too quickly, that may destroy the curls in the hair.
- Do not apply volumizing sprays, which contains too much alcohol.
- Avoid waxy products that can cause thin hair to clump at the roots and give the appearance of even less hair.
1. Beautiful Hair: Natural Care, by Kristin Russel, 2012
2. Yoga for Hair Growth, by Kristin Russel, 2012
3. Chemical and Physical Behavior of Human Hair. by Clarence R. Robbins, 4th Edition, 2002